Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Trip Down Memory Lane I - Look and Learn Magazine

Anyone who knows me can vouch for the fact that I am a general knowledge nut. In both elementary and high schools I competed in challenge contests in this regards and would be the first to admit that I am a sucker for a great quiz book, almanac, fact finder or encyclopedia (Yes I used to read encyclopedias and dictionaries for fun - come to think of it I still do). I am both grateful to my grandather and father for encouraging such pursuits which I believe have broadened my understanding of the world.

An earlier read of mine between 1976 and 1982 was Look and Learn Magazine (LLM). Produced specifically for an adolescent readership the magazine contained articles on history, the sciences, literature, art, music and numerous other intellectial pursuits. Its illustrations were first rate as was its text which was written in such a format as to actively encourage a zest for knowledge.

LLM was published between 1962 and 1982 by IPC Media. The last issue was #1049 (I have about 300+ issues at home as well as several Annuals and Quiz Books). In 2004, a new company called Look and Learn Magazine Ltd, bought the rights to the magazine - with the exception of some comic strips - and has began reprinting this wonderful the best of LLM on a selective basis.

The website http://www.lookandlearn.com/ contains infornation on this exciting rebirth that left me doing cartwheels.

Anyone looking to augment their child's learning with the enhanced scope that LLM fosters should make a detour to the site mentioned. Included in the rich resources is a first rate picture library and is in all respects well worth the visit.

G.

No comments: