Saturday, July 29, 2006

Astronomy

I am fascinated by the science. The idea of a vast universe of galaxies, quasers, stars, nebulae and planets drives my imagination and sits well with my sense of being. It makes me appreciate G-d even more for the wonder of creation. It was my father who introduced me to the noble science at age six, whetting my appetite to know more about space. I jumped at every opportunity I could and was rewarded by the treasure of a clear sky over Pretoria that allowed for a clear view of the far superior Southern Hemisphere heaven. Orion’s Belt was my favorite constellation with the Southern Cross not far behind. Every time I looked up I would always ask the same questions: Who was out there? Was I looking at G-d? When would we ever travel to the stars? And why is the universe so big? I knew I could never answer these questions myself but it didn’t hurt to ask.
In 1985 my parents bought me my first and only telescope, a reflector, that I still have to this day. I have made great use of it earning my spurs as a sky watcher in earnest when the Southern Hemisphere opened to Halley’s comet in 1986. It was astronomy that fueled my love for science fiction, crystallizing a passion that would drive me with joyous pursuit to the writing of my book: The History of the Future. Even today with the stress of work I always take care to inform myself of the latest developments in the discipline. Always on the lookout for a Patrick Moore book (Moore is a wonderful popularizer of Astronomy - I attended a lecture that he gave in Pretoria in 1984), I often pick up the odd copy of Astronomy magazine and was for a time a member of the Canadian Astronomical Society.

Areas of Astronomy that interest me the most (not in order)

1. Cosmology - Origin of the Universe.
2. Stellar Evolution
3. Galaxy formation
4. The planets of our solar system
5. Mysterious ‘substances’ eg. Dark matter and energy.
6. Comets
7. SETI

No comments: