1. The End of the Cold War - Reagan telling Gorbachev to 'tear down the wall'.
2. The End of the Carter Presidency.
3. Liverpool winning six League titles, two European Cups, four League Cups, two FA Cups. No English team in Football history has had a better decade - not even manure in the 90's.
4. The Rise of Recombinant DNA technology
5. The Tennis Era of Johnny Mac.
6. Sit Coms such as: Family Ties, Growing Pains, Night Court, Silver Spoons.
7. The Birth of the Inflationary Universe Theory - Alan Guth.
8. British bands such as Madness, the Cure, the Clash, Echo and the Bunneyman, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Level 42, New Order, OMD and DePeche Mode.
9. Back to the Future
10. British Comics were still a force.
12. The 82 World Cup - One of the Best ever- with respect to overall quality of Football.
13. Reagan spanking Gaddafi.
14. The Great Windies Cricket teams: Richards, Holding, Croft, Greenidge, Marshall etc.
15. The Springboks-British Lions Rugby Series of 1981.
16. TV Shows such as: Rip Tide, St. Elsewhere, Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica.
17. Yasser Arafat fleeing Lebanon.
18. South African heavyweight Gerrie Coetzee winning the WBA title.
19. Graduating from High school with distinctions (A grades) in: Mathematics, Science (Physics and Chemistry) as well as History (World and South African).
20. Starting University - University of the Witwatersrand - South Africa.
21. Immigrating to Canada.
22. The Sebastian Coe-Steve Ovett rivalry in Middle Distance Athletics.
23. Daley Thompson dominating the decathalon.
24. TIME magazine it was actually worth reading in those days.
25. World Book Encyclopedia's year books.
26. The Indian Jones Series of Movies.
27. Political Correctness was a not as big an issue.
28. Pac Man
29. Myself on the General knowledge quiz circuit in South Africa.
30. Birth of Trivia Pursuit
31. Larry Bird vs Magic Johnson vs Isiah Thomas
32. Britain showing backbone in the Falklands
33. Live AID
34. The Fall of Marcos in the Philipines
35. Eddie Murphy was still funny
36. Who knew what a SUV was?
37. Laser technology gave us the CD.
38. Bo Derek in 10.
39. The US still seemed to have had some control over illegal immigration.
40. BASIC Code with line numbers
41. Breakfast Club
42. Rocky III
43. The Kasparov-Karpov Chess rivalry
44. Bruce Hornsby and the Range also the Alan Parsons Project
45. There were no reality TV shows.
46. My families 1984 Euro Trip: France, England, Austria, Switzerland, the Netherlands.
47. Israel knocking out the Euro built Iraqi reactor in Osirak thereby saving the world from a potential future headache.
48. Greenspan puts the brakes on inflation.
49. No mass hysteria over Global Warming.
50. Money not such a major factor in Sports.