Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Taming a nonsense video clip

The red is my response to a true piece of nonsense that has found its way onto the Internet.
This ridiculous manifestation of non-intelligence can be found at:
http://www.bushflash.com/14.html

My response is in Red.

My REPLY to the Danger Video in RED. All messengers are respected.
1. Powerful and continuing expressions of nationalism.

In the US one can burn an American flag, piss over a picture of Bush in public and criticize the government to your hearts content. There have been many Anti-War displays throughout the country. This was not possible in Nazi Germany. Nor is it a truism of other fascist regimes.

2. Disdain for the importance of human rights.

And Both Abu Gharib and Gitmo have been investigated. Was this ever the case with Dauchau, Bergen-Belsen, Auschwitz?Also comparing suspected terrorists to holocaust victims is pure nonsense. I can’t believe that I am even replying to this, the most blatant of all the hyperbole.


3. Identification of enemies/scapegoats as a unifying cause.

The US chooses terrorists… and justifiably so.The Nazis chose: Jews. Trade Unionists, Jehovah’s Witness, Romany, Communists, Gays and Lesbians and those with physical and mental handicaps etc etc.

More garbage from Mr. Britt.

4. The supremacy of the military/avid militarism.

So the US has a large military…Someone has to defend Western Liberalism… (don’t count on Europe).I have to laugh at how Britt’s work relies on transmission via the Internet, a framework that traces its origin to the military (sorry Al Gore).By the way last time I checked the Nazis did not overthrow any regime to establish a democracy…. As is the case in Iraq and Afghanistan.


5. Rampant sexism.


The author focuses in on a slice of the Bush cabinet (No Condi Rice?mmmmm) and then claims a growing sexism ----this is pure tripe. My Grade 9 students could provide a better analysis.


6. A controlled mass media.


• Yes the media is controlled by the government except for:
NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, Boston Globe, NY Times, LA Times, Boston Globe, Much of PBS, NPR, Washington Post, Newsweek, Time Magazine, Atlantic Monthly, Harpers, Mother Jones etc, etc.All of which have been extremely critical of the Bush Administration. Britt exaggerates once more.


7. Obsession with national security.

• Actually a lack of focus on national security is what allowed 911 to occur in the first place…So much for the Clinton legacy.
Even now if you look at the buffoonery of the Bush Administration in preventing illegal immigration from Mexico…you will see that National .Homeland Security is a misnomer. Furthermore the Author's point here is an added insult to all victims of the Gestapo and the SS.



8. Religion and ruling elite tied together.

• The Nazis abhorred organized traditional religion. The only reason that they tolerated the Catholic Church and the various protestant denominations was to avoid or minimize further internal strife in the country.

• This is a typical line that I would expect from a Secular Humanist who conveniently forgets that the religious Left namely The Rainbow Coalition, Christian Peacemakers, Universal Heritage Foundation, Witness for Peace, Pax Christi, Plowshares exist at all. Each of which is no ally of the Bush Administration.



9. Power of corporations protected.

Yes there are the Worldcomm’s and Enrons of the US but at least the cases were prosecuted (Bernie Ebbers was sent to jail for 25 years. Lay was found guilty of the ten charges against him – he died before sentencing). Under a Fascist Regime this would almost certainly have not been the case. Did the Nazis prosecute IG Farben, Bayer, Siemens and Daimler Benz…no bloody way?


10. Power of labor suppressed or eliminated.

Are the Unions independent of the government in the US? Yes.Can they go on strike? Yes except under special circumstances.Could they do so in Nazi Germany? No way.

11. Disdain and suppression of intellectuals and the arts.

So Bernard Goldberg doesn’t like the Media Elite…(doesn’t this contradict point #6 of the author's analysis?). Intellectuals run for your life….Stop the Press.....Fascism is coming.....Funny thing is that Goldberg is extremely critical of Michael Savage..the other author shown.This is more of the cult of victimhood from Britt, based on my own survey at Chapters three out of the four books in the US politics section were very critical of the Bush Administration. I hardly think that intellectual ‘millionaires’such as Chomsky, Zinn and co. are suffering by any measure. Neither are the other arch-disciples of the movement for extended hypocrisy : Cornel West and Barbara Ehrenreich.

As for the Dixie Chicks…..Since when did they qualify as intellectuals.?

12. Obsession with crime and punishment.

Only point that I may agree with Britt on but to compare the US to the Nazis here is also ludicrous.

13. Rampant cronyism and corruption.

A problem everywhere…especially within the manifold of that giant Corporation of the Left: The State. Something the Right has been trying to downsize for some time now.Bush and co. have fallen short on this front.


14. Fraudulent elections.

Yes the Dems were bitter after 2000 (I was too – I supported Gore – who ran a dreadful campaign --- carried a smaller share of the states than Bush and couldn’t even win at home ie. Tennessee) but lets not forget that in Germany under the Nazis there were no elections.......period...end of story.


Overall this video Clip is a slap in the face to anyone with an above average intelligence. The fact that it was produced by an academic says more about a state of idiocracy that exists in on the net than anything else.

7 comments:

. said...

Oh well, I think your comment on this video is just as one-sided as the video itself. Of course you cannot compare the US to Nazi Germany, but there are some points in this video that have a little bit of truth to them. It reminds me of the movie "The Corporation" where the behaviour of corporations is compared with the behaviour of psychopaths....

NexusofThought said...

The video has some truth and I have mentioned points where I agreed with it. However its end goal of trying to create a linkage between the US and Fasicism by emotionally linking the thought process through Nazism is ridiculous. Hence my analysis.

. said...

You mentioned one point you agree with. If I may quote you: "...Only point that I may agree with Btritt...". You denied every bit of truth in all the other points. Since I do not have much time I will only comment on the first two:

1. Powerful and continuing expressions of nationalism
There can be no two opinions on this point. In no other country (except maybe Korea) are so many flags on display as in the US. The playback of the national anthem before any sports event is something I have not experienced anywhere else. Do not get me wrong here, I am not saying that this is a bad thing - who am I to judge - or that this can somehow be compared with Nazi Germany, I am just saying the there is a powerful and coninuing expression of nationalism in the US of A.
What I do think is bad, is that many (not all) Americans are so convinced that the live in the BEST country of the world, that theirs is the blessed country and all others are inferior. Most of the Americans never leave their country and do not even have a passport. They do not build up an independent opinion for themselves.
By the way: The first two stanzas of Germany's national anthem are "verboten" - because of lines like "Germany, Germany above all, above all in the world". I think there is a reason for that.

2. Disdain for the importance of human rights.
You conclude, that because Abu Gharib and Guantanamo have been investigated and because the people involved are suspected terrorist and not holocaust victims that there can be no violation of human rights. I certainly cannot agree with you there. What the victims of the human rights violation have done or might have done is of no importance, at least not in an enlightened society as the US doubtless see themselves. To keep people imprisoned without trial cannot be anything to be proud of or to be justified.
An investigation of Abu Gharib after the "events" does not make those "events" undone.

NexusofThought said...

Gavin aka Lonelythinker replies

Blub say: You mentioned one point you agree with. If I may quote you: "...Only point that I may agree with Btritt...". You denied every bit of truth in all the other points.

Gavin says - What I deny is Britt’s hyperbole and the exaggeration. That was the focus of my critique which you seemed to have missed.

Blub says: Since I do not have much time I will only comment on the first two:

Blub says Powerful and continuing expressions of nationalism
There can be no two opinions on this point


Gavin says: Why so short sighted?


Blub says: In no other country (except maybe Korea) are so many flags on display as in the US Why have you taken a census of flags per country or is this just your feeling?. The playback of the national anthem before any sports event is something I have not experienced anywhere else.


Gavin says: Ever been to a World Cup Footer Match? Olympic Games? Time to broaden the experience.

Blub says: Do not get me wrong here, I am not saying that this is a bad thing - who am I to judge - or that this can somehow be compared with Nazi Germany

Gavin says: my point exactly of the critique..Finally you get it.,

Blub says: I am just saying the there is a powerful and coninuing expression of nationalism in the US of A.

Gavin says: The US is not alone. Canadians are nationalistic as well- big deal. I can vouch for that as a Canadian.

Blub says: What I do think is bad, is that many (not all) Americans are so convinced that the live in the BEST country of the world , that theirs is the blessed country and all others are inferior.

Gavin says: So what? Also I have seen this ‘blessed country’ feeling amongst many cultures in my travels worldwide. The US like democracies has a lot to be proud of and a lot to be ashamed of.

Blub says: Most of the Americans never leave their country and do not even have a passport.
They do not build up an independent opinion for themselves.

Gavin says: As you of course do. You are sounding like a European Elitist.

Blub says: By the way: The first two stanzas of Germany's national anthem are "verboten" - because of lines like "Germany, Germany above all, above all in the world". I think there is a reason for that.

Gavin: Yes very Good Reason considering Germany's expansionist past.The US may be a complex mosaic – good and bad – but at least it gives citizenship to its population born in the country.
Germany’s horrendous treatment of the Turks, preferential citizenship treatment of individuals of German ancestory from the former East Bloc, skinhead attacks on ethnic groups, indicate that your country is still suffused with the nationalistic fervor that you yourself claim to deny.

Blub says: Disdain for the importance of human rights.
You conclude, that because Abu Gharib and Guantanamo have been investigated and because the people involved are suspected terrorist and not holocaust victims that there can be no violation of human rights.

Gavin says: Once again I never said that. I was comparing the extent of the exaggeration.


Blub says: What the victims of the human rights violation have done or might have done is of no importance,

Gavin says: Tell that to the victims. Easy to comment from the comfort of home.

Blub says: at least not in an enlightened society as the US doubtless see themselves. To keep people imprisoned without trial cannot be anything to be proud of or to be justified.

Gavin says: Its not something to be proud about but you are applying the rules of Peace to War. This is a common mistake.

Gavin further says: While we are at it where is the criticism for Germany’s Nuclear and Chemical weapons program delivered tp one Saddam Hussein?

I see hypocrisy here.

. said...

Usually this kind of discussion does not finish in an agreement or a compromise between the involved parties. But I will try anyhow.

I never said that the USA are a fascist regime. If you interpreted my comments this way then it was a misunderstanding. I never tried to say that any other country in the world is somehow "better" than the USA and I will not start to defend Germany even if it is hard for me not to - since I do not agree with your statements. But this is a different discussion. As you correctly said - democracies usually have a lot to be proud of and a lot to be ashamed of (I hope I got you right on this point - at least this is my interpretation).

Since I did not put any country "above" the US I feel calling me a hypocrite is not adequate. I usually try not to insult others in discussions an not to over-simplify the circumstances. That is why I refrain from phrases like "the Americans" and the like.


Can we both agree that there are "powerful and cuntinuing expressions of nationalism" in the USA - without judging whether this is good or bad?
Can we maybe furthermore agree that there have been violations of human rights if not in Guantanamo then at least in Abu Ghuraib?

If we can agree on that than this is what I wanted to express with my posts. Again I am not saying that the USA are a fascist regime or even close to it, or that any other country in the world is somehow better. I actually like the USA and I have spent some of my best days there.

PS: BTW I was lucky and was able to see a WC soccer match.

NexusofThought said...

GAVIN"S RESPONSE

Blub says:
Usually this kind of discussion does not finish in an agreement or a compromise between the involved parties. But I will try anyhow.

Gavin says
Its always worth trying. By the way I am not a cheerleader for the US. In fact if you go to one of my website links at
http://www.lonelythinker.com/politics719.html you will see what I mean.

However I do oppose exaggerated distortions – such as this video clip – that masquerades as intellectual thought.

Blub says

I never said that the USA are a fascist regime. If you interpreted my comments this way then it was a misunderstanding.


Gavin says:
Fair enough.

Blub says:

I never tried to say that any other country in the world is somehow "better" than the USA and I will not start to defend Germany even if it is hard for me not to - since I do not agree with your statements. But this is a different discussion. As you correctly said - democracies usually have a lot to be proud of and a lot to be ashamed of (I hope I got you right on this point - at least this is my interpretation).

Gavin says:

We are in agreement here. I am not anti-German. In fact Germany has contributed immensely to human civilization.
Check out my website link:
http://www.lonelythinker.com/rankings524.html for the 70 most influential Germans of all time as well as
http://www.lonelythinker.com/hist337.html for a run down on some of the key events of German history (good and bad).

Blub says:

Since I did not put any country "above" the US I feel calling me a hypocrite is not adequate. I usually try not to insult others in discussions an not to over-simplify the circumstances. That is why I refrain from phrases like "the Americans" and the like.

Gavin says:

Your point is valid. I apologize if I insulted you. I certainly didn’t mean it. I am an active debater on several political chat forums and as a self-admitted classical liberal, who is generally in the minority, I am often forced to be on the defensive against both the Left and the Paleo-Right.



Blub says:
Can we both agree that there are "powerful and cuntinuing expressions of nationalism" in the USA - without judging whether this is good or bad?

Gavin says

I agree. I have never denied this that would be ridiculous.

Can we maybe furthermore agree that there have been violations of human rights if not in Guantanamo then at least in Abu Ghuraib?

Gavin says

Another point that I have never denied. Lets at the same time also not forget the human right violations that occurred at Abu Gharib before the fall of Hussein.
Why are these violations hardly ever talked about when they lasted much longer and were on a scale far worse than anything that occurred under US administration?

Blub says

If we can agree on that than this is what I wanted to express with my posts. Again I am not saying that the USA are a fascist regime or even close to it, or that any other country in the world is somehow better. I actually like the USA and I have spent some of my best days there.

PS: BTW I was lucky and was able to see a WC soccer match.

Gavin says:
Which one?

By the way thanks for the debate. I like a good discussion.

Cheers

Gavin

. said...

I saw the game Saudi-Arabia vs. Spain. I went there with high hopes but the game itself was rather disappointing. The result was 1:0 for Spain. But the hours before the match in downtown Kaiserslautern were fantastic. The whole tournament was a huge party all over Germany. Too bad it will probably take more than 30 years until the next World Cup will be in Germany.

As for the getting tickets - it seems that it was easier for Canadians. I applied for more than 60 tickets and got none. My sister was lucky and got us two tickets for the game in Kaiserslautern - but otherwise I do not know anybody personally who was lucky and got any tickets - and I know at least two dozens of my friends/family/aquaintances applied for them.
I talked to a Canadian guy on the train back home after the match and he told me that this was his third game. Afterwards he was going to city xy to see a match of the round of sixteen and after that he had a ticket for a quarter final.