Sunday, March 29, 2009

Teaching Evolution

I have evolved considerably as a teacher since my first school year back in 2002/2003. While I still champion (and always will) high standards and the cultivation of a solid work ethic in my students, my philosophical approach with respect to concept building and consolidation have changed remarkably. In physics for one I have introduced a light self-discovery approach that encourages the student to learn, via free inquiry and critical thought, the mainstays of the big idea. This is not to say that I have adopted a hands off approach - to the contrary I am very much an involved teacher - but I believe that it is important for the teacher to step back and guide rather than actively transmit. In other words the involvement from the educator should be more passive than active.

No comments: