Friday, March 18, 2011

Five Areas I regularly study

1. Astronomy/Cosmology – The universe fascinates me. It is large beyond all perspective but is governed by the same laws of physics that influence us in our seemingly localized milieu.

2. Modern World History (1789- present) – I started reading history books as a kid (thanks to my father and grandfather) and have been hooked ever since. In fact I wrote a history quiz book that one can find and buy on:

http://www.xlibrispublishing.co.uk/bookstore/author.aspx?authorid=6210

History was my first passion and we have been locked in an embrace ever since. I particular enjoy the modern period as it provides the immediate framework from which today’s world has evolved.

3. Political Philosophy – I enjoy struggling with ideas and relish dissecting the arguments from all sides that define the political spectrum. Part of this is a consequence of a personal investigation into World History but I prefer to see it as a richer to understand the human spirit.

4. Geography – My fascination with the world has bought me a greater understanding of geography. My mind loves organizing facts and stats into useful patterns and geography provides an excellent vehicle for such a recourse.

5. International Sports – What can I say I am a bit of a junky. Football (soccer) Tennis, Boxing, Cricket, Track and Field and rugby all appeal to me. I don’t watch as much as I used to (the responsibility of parenthood) but I have an encyclopaedic knowledge of past winners and key events.

No comments: