Wednesday, February 18, 2009

On Abortion

I support a women’s right to choose but believe that access to abortion should be restricted to a three month period following conception. As a consequence I am opposed to later stage Partial Birth abortion unless the circumstances are so severe that reasonable alternatives are virtually non-existent (mother’s life in danger for example). Abortion is a classic tradeoff issue where necessary pragmatism butts heads with a vital moral predicament. While this issue, perhaps more than any other, appears on the surface to be greatly polarized a more detailed understanding shows that this is not the case. Indeed there is room for a middle ground where I believe my position resides. Despite my support for the pro-choice position I do so with somewhat of a heavy heart in realizing that I have done so on largely utilitarian grounds.

No comments: